You can take a motorcycle driving course even if you don’t have a driver’s licence for passenger vehicles. However, having a Class 5 driver’s licence (passenger vehicles) does not allow you to drive a motorcycle without taking a motorcycle driving course.
In other words, even if you have a Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 8 driver’s licence, you absolutely have to take a motorcycle driving course to obtain your Class 6A, 6B or 6C licence to drive a motorcycle on any Quebec road. This tells mountains about the need to be well trained before you try driving that type of vehicle, and about the major differences between driving a motorcycle and driving any other kind of vehicle.
- Learner’s licence, Class 6R, allows you to practice with any kind of motorcycle. on a closed track or on the road but only as part of a mandatory driving course taken at a driving school recognized by the AQTR or during the SAAQ closed-track road test
- Probationary licence (Class 6A, 6B or 6C)
- Class 6A licence that allows you to drive any kind of motorcycle
- Class 6B licence that allows you to drive a motorcycle with a cylinder capacity of 400 cc or less
- Class 6C licence that allows you to drive a motorcycle with a cylinder capacity of 125 cc or less
Note 1: the new Class 6E (three-wheeled motorcycles) is included in the Class 6A, 6B or 6C licences.
Note 2: an electric motorcycle is considered Class 6C.
To obtain a licence in any of those Classes, you must go through a series of steps and meet each of their requirements. You can start your course as early as age 16 (before 18 y.o., you will need your parents’ concent).
- Study at home to prepare for the knowledge text (read the Operating a Motorcycle Guide)
- Pass the knowledge test at the SAAQ to obtain your Class 6R learner’s licence
- Attend the 3-hour closed track driving theory class at the school
- Do 16 hours (4 x 4 hours) of practical training on a closed track
- Attend the 3-hour on-road driving theory class at the school
- Do 10 hours (5 x 2 hours of practical on-road instruction
- Pass the closed track examination at the SAAQ, which will allow you to obtain a Class 6A, 6B or 6C learner’s licence
- Do a minimum of 11 months of accompanied driving
- Pas the final road test with the SAAQ to obtain your probationary licence (6A, 6b or 6C)