Check out our special Motorcycle Website! Click here!


You can take a motorcycle driving course even if you don’t have a driver’s licence for passenger vehicles. However, having a Class 5 driver’s licence (passenger vehicles) does not allow you to drive a motorcycle without taking a motorcycle driving course.

In other words, even if you have a Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 8 driver’s licence, you absolutely have to take a motorcycle driving course to obtain your Class 6A, 6B or 6C licence to drive a motorcycle on any Quebec road. This tells mountains about the need to be well trained before you try driving that type of vehicle, and about the major differences between driving a motorcycle and driving any other kind of vehicle.

Besides the learner’s licence, there are three types of licences that are established according to the cylinder capacity of the motorcycle you intend to drive. Here they are:

  • Learner’s licence, Class 6R, allows you to practice with any kind of motorcycle. on a closed track or on the road but only as part of a mandatory driving course taken at a driving school recognized by the AQTR  or during the SAAQ closed-track road test
  • Probationary licence (Class 6A, 6B or 6C)
  • Class 6A licence that allows you to drive any kind of motorcycle
  • Class 6B licence that allows you to drive a motorcycle with a cylinder capacity of 400 cc or less
  • Class 6C licence that allows you to drive a motorcycle with a cylinder capacity of 125 cc or less

Note 1: the new Class 6E (three-wheeled motorcycles) is included in the Class 6A, 6B or 6C licences.
Note 2: an electric motorcycle is considered Class 6C.

To obtain a licence in any of those Classes, you must go through a series of steps and meet each of their requirements.   You can start your course as early as age 16 (before 18 y.o., you will need your parents’ concent).
  • Study at home to prepare for the knowledge text (read the Operating a Motorcycle Guide)
  • Pass the knowledge test at the SAAQ to obtain your Class 6R learner’s licence
  • Attend the 3-hour closed track driving theory class at the school
  • Do 16 hours (4 x 4 hours) of practical training on a closed track
  • Attend the 3-hour on-road driving theory class at the school
  • Do 10 hours  (5 x 2 hours of practical on-road instruction
  • Pass the closed track examination at the SAAQ, which will allow you to obtain a Class 6A, 6B or 6C learner’s licence
  • Do a minimum of 11 months of accompanied driving
  • Pas the final road test with the SAAQ to obtain your probationary licence (6A, 6b or 6C)
If you already have a regular Class 5 (passenger vehicles) driver’s licence, there will be no probationary period. Otherwise, the probationary periode is 24 months.
If you have a Class 6C driver’s licence and you want a 6A or 6B licence, you just need to pass the final road test on a corresponding cylinder capacity motorcycle.